Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Joys of Parenting

Have you ever heard the saying "You're going to look back on this one day and laugh"? I have, and it holds true to a lot of what I've been dealing with lately. More specifically, the crazy and sometimes frustrating aspects of parenting. For example, I was on the phone last night with my friend Stephanie. I was sitting on the floor in the living room. Carter was playing (aka running around like a wildman) and trying to get my attention. He doesn't like it when the focus is off him. I'm in the middle of saying something to my friend when suddenly I feel him smacking me on the top of my head and shoulders like he was playing the drums, all the while giggling. Before that, he was coming up behind me and pulling out my scrunchie that was in my hair. He knows it bugs me when he does that. I swear he smirks when he gets it in his hand and runs away with it. Little bugger!!!
Then today, I realized Danielle had a poopy diaper. I laid out the changing pad on the living room floor and proceeded to get her cleaned up. Well, have you ever heard of the phrase "blow out"? Danielle has one of these at least twice a week. It's not fun and usually involves me having to completely undress her since her clothes inevitably get soiled. Then, I use about 10 wipes to get her fresh and clean. My husband hates it when I use that many, but if there is one thing that grosses me out it's touching poop. I told him to buy me gloves if he wants me to cut back on the amount of wipes. Well, she was laying there naked on the changing pad and I had to run her clothes into the laundry room to soak them. When I came back, not even a minute later, she had peed all over the place. I mean, it looked like a river! It was all over the changing pad and even in her hair! I kept muttering "Gross!" and "Eww" before finally just throwing a towel over her and hauling her upstairs to the bathtub. Nasty, and yet I will be laughing this off one day, right?
Like the time Carter was only a few days old and I was changing his diaper on the changing table. No sooner had I taken the diaper off him and he was peeing all over the place. Now, with boys it's a little different. It doesn't go down - it shoots straight up in the air and gets everywhere! In this case, all over his face and all over the wall. Lol. Good times, right? I'm already laughing about that one.
I'm sure I'll have many more stories just like these to share over the years. Parenting is taking me for the ride of my life. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment